- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup powdered yellow cake mix
- Warm the milk, sugar, 1 cup of the cream and salt in a medium sauce pan.
- Pour the remaining 1 cup cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrap the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scrapping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. At this point, add the cake mix and carefully whisk until smooth.. Continue to stir until cool over an ice bath.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. When ready to churn, freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.