- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 inch rind of parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream, heated
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Cook stirring occasionally until vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add flour and blend well. Stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add broth and blend well. Add the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, parmesan rind and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook 30 minutes.
- Add bay leaves and continue to cook 30 minutes longer.
- Pass soup through a fine mesh strainer, pressing hard on the solids to gather as much liquid as possible. Blend heated cream into strained soup. Season with salt and more pepper if desired.