- 1 (750 ml) bottle grain vodka
- 10 lemons
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the rind from the lemons in long strips, being careful not to take any of the pith. (reserve the lemons for another use.)
- In a 2 quart jar, put the lemon peels in the jar and pour the vodka over the peels. Close the jar with either a lid or plastic wrap. Steep the lemon peels in the vodka in a cool(isn) dark place for 45 days, until all of the oils from the peels have mixed with the vodka.
- In a saucepan, combine the water and sugar, and warm until the sugar has dissolved and the syrup is clear. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Pour the simple syrup over the vodka mixture . Cover and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Strain the limoncello through a mesh strainer and discard peels. Transfer the limoncello into bottles and seal the bottles.
- Keep in refrigerator up to 4 weeks. Also very delicious if kept in freezer. Can be stored in freezer up to 3 months.