- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small head, broccoli
- 5 ounces herbed goat cheese
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- Prepared pizza doughs
- flour as needed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut crowns from the head of broccoli. Either discard stems or save for a stock.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add sausage, breaking apart with a spoon. Sauté until no pink remains. Add minced garlic and sauté for one minute longer. Using a slotted spoon, remove from pan on to a paper towel lined plate.
- Using the grease from the pan, add broccoli crowns and sauté until slightly crispy; about 5 minutes. Carefully remove leftover grease and discard.
- Reduce heat to medium and add sausage to broccoli. Crumble herbed goat cheese and add to sausage broccoli mixture and combine. Remove pan from heat.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle work surface with flour. Add prepared pizza dough and roll to stretch slightly. Using a bread and butter sized plate (about 6 inches) cut dough into disks.
- Place ½ cup or so of sausage mixture on to dough. Sprinkle the top of the sausage mixture with a little fontina cheese. Brush the edge with beaten egg, and fold over to close, crimping edges. Cut a ½ inch slice in the top of the calzone to allow air to escape. Place on baking sheet and repeat. Brush tops of calzones with egg wash.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until golden.