- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 quart water
- 3 leeks diced, white parts only
- 2 carrots, cut in to big chunks
- 2 stalks of celery, cut in to big chunks
- 1 ham hock
- 1 2 pound boneless picnic ham
- 2½ cups split peas
- 3 small new potatoes
- 1 cup fresh peas
- Combine first 7 ingredients together in a large stock pot. Cover and cook over medium high heat. Once the soup has come to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until the meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove ham hock and discard. Remove ham and reserve on a separate plate.
- Add split peas to broth and cook until peas are tender, about 45 minutes. The last 15 minutes of cooking the peas, add the potatoes.
- While the split peas are cooking, finely dice up the reserved ham. Blanch the fresh peas in boiling water, about 2 minutes. Drain and reserve.
- Take soup off heat. In batches, blend in blender, then push through a chinois or fine strainer. Discard solids.
- Return pureed soup to stove to heat through. Serve in bowls, and garnish with finely diced ham and blanched fresh peas.