- 1 pound bacon
- 2 pounds fresh cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons course salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- In a dutch oven, saute bacon and garlic in olive oil over medium high heat until brown. Drain fat and discard. Add tomato paste to bacon and stir to coat bacon. Cook until paste is a dark burgundy color, about 1 minute.
- Pour bourbon in pan and stir immediately, scraping up the fond on the bottom to deglaze. Cook one minute.
- Add tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Stir together.
- Turn heat down to medium low and cook, stirring every 15 minutes, until a jam-like consistency, about one hour.
- Serve at room temperature.