- 10½ cups tart cherries
- 3 cups sugar
- ¼ cup clearjel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups cold water
- red food coloring (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Wash the cherries. Stem and pit them.
- Put the clearjel in a very large stock pot and mix with the sugar and ground cinnamon. Add the water, and food coloring (if using).
- Stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
- Add lemon juice and cook an additional minute.
- Fold in the cherries carefully, all at once, just until evenly coated.
- Fill hot mixture into hot jars.
- Ladle into quart sized jars, leaving a ½ inch headspace.
- Wipe jar rims. Put lids on.
- Process in water bath for at least 15 minutes. Increase time as needed for your altitude.