This is the best butter rum muffin recipe. One of my favorites, I tested several recipes and came up with and created my own DELICIOUS one.
Every summer, we head up to Boothbay Harbor, Maine. We love it there and if we’re so fortunate, we get to stay about a week, and enjoy everything that Boothbay Harbor has to offer. Every morning, we head to the General Store in East Boothbay, and we each get a Butter Rum muffin. A muffin that we look forward to enjoying all year, I set out in my test kitchen to recreate the recipe. After NINE attempts, I finally came up with a Butter Rum Muffin Recipe that just may be even better than those from the General Store!
Table of Contents
Best Butter Rum Muffin Recipe
Though I did ask the owner if she would share her recipe, she quickly declined, so there was only one thing to do. Make my own butter rum muffin recipe. Bringing home a half dozen for research and development, I was focused and determined. Who knew that a muffin recipe would be so challenging to recreate. Every attempt came up short of that delicious butter rum-y flavor. I would bake a small batch, compare bites with the Maine version, and every time, I was missing one key component, but what was it?
I set out and continued my research, but then started thinking about extracts. It’s extracts that enhance flavors, especially in baked goodies, so of course this would make sense with this muffin recipe. I started out using vanilla extract and that was a complete miss. The vanilla robbed the rum flavors and it tasted more like a vanilla muffin. I pondered over my collection of flavored extracts and got me wondering if there’s a such thing as butter rum flavoring.
Done, and done! Not only did I recreate the coveted recipe from Maine, but I came up with an even better recipe!
Here Is My Favorite Muffin Recipe Of All Time
In this recipe, I used large-sized muffin pan, where I could bake 6 muffins per pan. Although I lean toward the larger muffins, all sizes have their virtues. The recipe also calls for butter rum flavoring, and you can find that here.
Butter Rum Muffins
- Muffin Pan
- 12 Tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons butter rum flavoring
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 12 ounce bag butterscotch chips
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Place paper liners in muffin pans and set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, add the eggs, one at a time. Add the butter rum flavoring, sour cream and milk. Mix until combined.
- Keeping the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture and beat until just mixed. Fold in the butterscotch chips with a rubber spatula.
- Scoop the batter into muffin pan(s), filling 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle the tops with a generous amount of brown sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove. Serve warm or even at room temperature. Delicious either way!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a small commission on items purchased, at zero cost to you. As always, thank you so much for your support!