Homemade cheese balls are always a great appetizer, and are easy and delicious to make. Here is my easy and delicious cheese ball recipe.
Whenever I think of a cheese platter, my first vision is a big cheese ball placed right in the center of the platter. I truly do. They’re packed with flavor and can be customized with all kinds of different cheese combinations, spicy flavorings and of course, coated in chopped nuts.
Sean and I have been known to make a meal out of a cheese ball and crackers, with a bunch of grapes on the side. However, there is an ingredient that makes this cheese ball recipe stand up higher than any other recipe.
The Secret Ingredient Is Pickapeppa Sauce
Have you heard of this tangy sauce? It can be found in the hot sauce section of most grocery stores. I always keep it on hand.
It’s a deliciously tangy / peppery sauce that pairs with cheese magically. In my recipe that I created here, I have paired three cheeses that taste wonderful together. Although the pickapeppa takes this cheese ball recipe to a whole new level, Worcestershire Sauce is an tasty substitute as well!!
As with almost all cheese ball recipes, the base is cream cheese. The reason being is that it softens and mixes well. It is a neutral, slightly tangy cheese that pairs with just about every other cheese on the market. Then, with the addition of a flavored stilton cheese, cranberry stilton, in this case, perfectly pairs with a good classic sharp cheddar cheese. Combine all three cheeses and you have the makings for the best cheese ball recipe!
Want another idea for using Pickapeppa Sauce? Simply pour a couple tablespoons over the top of a brick of cream cheese. Serve with crackers and sliced apples for a quick, spur-of-the-moment appetizer.
The Best Cheese Ball Recipe
- 1 8-ounce brick cream cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbed white stilton cheese with cranberries
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Pickapeppa sauce Worcestershire Sauce is a great substitute
- 1 cup chopped candied pecans
- Take cheeses out of the refrigerator and bring up to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer, place cheeses and Pickapeppa sauce. Turn mixer on medium low and mix until combined, scraping down the sides as needed. (The cheeses can be mixed by hand, just make sure they are at room temp before mixing.)
- Place bowl of cheese mixer back into the fridge to firm up, for 10-20 minutes.
- Take out of the fridge and form into two baseball sized balls.
- Roll each ball in chopped pecan mixture.
- Can be prepared ahead and stored in an airtight container for up to one week. Bring up to room temperature before serving.
This post contains an affiliate link.