Black Raspberry Ice Cream
- 3 1/2 cups black raspberries
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Puree the black raspberries in a food processor.
- Pour into a mesh strainer and press with a flexible rubber spatula until you have pressed most of the juice out.
- Set the puree aside
- Discard the seeds and solids.
- Warm the whole milk and sugar in a medium saucepan. Pour the heavy cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer over the top.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. Mix in the black raspberry puree and lemon juice, then stir until cool over an ice bath.
- Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator. Churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions.