Candied Apple Gems
- 12 small or 7 medium apples, such as Fuji or Granny Smith
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- wooden skewers
- Wash apples thoroughly, then dry. Place skewer in bottom of each apple.
- In a saucepan, stir together light corn syrup, sugar and water. Place pan over high heat with a candy thermometer clipped to the side of the saucepan. Boil mixture until the candy thermometer reaches 290 degrees, then immediately add red food coloring. Stir with a silicone spatula.. Moving very quickly, dip the apples in the syrup, twisting to cover and set on a well-greased baking sheet.
- Let cool in the refrigerator. Remove from baking sheet and enjoy.