Cherry Bourbon Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups halved pitted cherries
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon bourbon
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 6 large egg yolks
- FOR THE CHERRIES:Cook the cherries and sugar with 1 Tablespoon water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until syrupy, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the bourbon. Set aside to cool.
- FOR THE ICE CREAM:
- Warm the milk, sugar, 1 cup of the cream and salt in a medium saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the warm milk and add the bean as well. Cover, remove from heat, and let steep at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Pour the remaining 1 cup cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. Put the vanilla bean into the custard, add stir until cool over an ice bath. When cooled, add the reserved cherry mixture and stir to combine.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, at least 2 hours. when ready to churn, remove the vanilla bean and discard. Freeze mixture in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.