Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup creme de menthe
- 2 ounces chopped semi sweet chocolate
- Warm the milk, sugar, 1 cup of cream and salt in a medium sauce pan.
- Pour remaining 1 cup cream and the creme de menthe into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the sauce pan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heat proof spatula, scraping bottom as you stir, until mixture thickens and coats the spoon. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the mint / cream mixture. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
- Chill mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. When ready to churn, remove from the refrigerator and add the chopped chocolate. Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to manufactures directions.