Christmas Shortbread Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks 16 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric or stand mixer, mix the flours and salt on low speed until combined. Cut the butter into 1/2 inch pieces. Add the butter to the flour mixture and mix on low speed until the dough is pale yellow and resembles large crumbs - about 3 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and mold dough with your hands into a disk. Place disk on top of a piece of wax paper. Place another piece of wax paper on top of dough. Using a rolling pin, roll dough until it is 1/4 inch thick.
- Using desired size of cookie cutter, cut dough and place cookies on top of reserved parchment lined baking sheet. Space cookies 1 inch apart, allowing room for spreading during baking. Keep molding and rolling dough and continue to cut into cookies. Once the baking sheet is full, place in freezer for 5 minutes to firm the dough.
- Take loaded baking sheet from freezer and place directly in oven. Immediately lower temperature to 300. Bake for 18 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and slide parchment paper with cookies directly onto baking rack to cool. Let cool for at least 2 hours. To store, place in air tight container, room temperature, for up to 7 days.