Corned Beef Hot Dogs
- 1 4-5 pound beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons saltpeter you can find it here
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 Tablespoon whole allspice berries
- 2 pounds of ice
- casings for stuffing cleaned well
- In a large saucepan, place water, salt, sugar, saltpeter, mustard seeds, peppercorns, cloves and allspice. Cook over high heat until the salt and sugar have dissolved. Remove from heat and add the ice. Once the brine has cooled, place the brisket in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish and add the brine. Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for 8 days. Check daily to make sure the beef is completely submerged and stir the brine.
- After 8 days, remove the beef from the brine and rinse well under cool water. Cut beef into 2 inch cubes.
- Prepare meat grinder according to manufacturers directions, (I recommend this meat grinder) first attaching the medium sized grinding plate. Place large bowl under grinder to catch beef. Place cubes of beef in the feeding pan. Using the meat pusher, push beef through grinder, adding more cubes as you go. Once all of the beef has been ground, change the grinding plate to the "fine" size. Add a new large bowl under the grinder and push though the beef once more.
- Remove grinding plate and attach sausage stuffing tube. (these are the best) Tie a knot at the end of a casing and carefully slide the open end on to the stuffer. If there is any air bubbles in the casing, gently push them out.
- Holding the end of the casing with the knot with your left hand, turn on the grinder and feed ground beef through the tube to fill the casing, holding the casing lightly with your right hand to help prevent any air bubbles from forming. (see photo above) If air bubbles form, this could easily burst the casing. Fill casing to desired length of hot dog. Pull back about a 1/4 inch from fill and twist the hot dog to then form another link.
- Once all of the meet has been stuffed in the casings, tie the end with another knot. Prepare grill.
- Once coals are hot, cut the hot dogs between the links and add to the grill. Cover grill and cook for 3 minutes. Take the cover off, turn the hot dog and cook another 3 minutes. Remove from grill. Serve on toasted bun with sauerkraut and mustard.