Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 cups chopped cremini mushrooms
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heated heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sherry
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the chopped mushrooms, celery, and leek. Cook until soften, stirring frequently.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the broth gradually. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Puree soup, then strain through a fine mesh strainer. Return soup to pot and place over low heat. Add the heated heavy cream and sherry, salt and pepper.
- Serve in warm bowls.