- 4 large tomatoes, cut into quarters and seeded – reserve 1/4 cup diced for topping
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and seeds removed, cut into chunks – reserve 1/4 cup diced for topping
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in half, seeds and membrane removed – dice half for topping
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in half, seeds and membrane removed – dice half for topping
- 1 bunch cilantro, cleaned
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 22 ounces canned tomato juice
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, add the vinegar and tomato juice. Place a large fine strainer over the bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl of a food processor, add tomatoes and cucumbers (reserving the 1/4 cup), half each of the bell peppers and 1/2 cup packed cilantro. Pulse until all is pureed.
- Empty the pureed into the strainer.over the reserved bowl of vinegar and juice. Press on the solids until all of the juice from the puree has been drained. Either discard the solids, or add them to a jar of prepared salsa. Save for another use.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover gazpacho and refrigerate at least 2 hours for the flavors to marry.
- When ready to serve, ladle into bowls and distribute reserved diced tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers. Top with a sprig of cilantro and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
- Serve chilled