I’ll grill just about anything and that includes salad. Wait until you try this recipe for the ultimate grilled panzanella salad!
Why is this salad called the ultimate?
Because it’s grilled! And whenever there’s grilled veggies mixed with raw, and then grilling the bread which is the star of the show here, the vinaigrette brings this recipe home. The flavor profile is outstanding and makes for a delicious summer salad.
Charcoal grills are my preferred, and here is the one that I have and recommend, and light up almost daily.
For this recipe, I used orange and yellow bell peppers, but any color combination will do. I did test out various onions like white, yellow and Vidalia, but the red onion won the prize because of how it held up to the grilling process, and the flavor of the red onion just couldn’t be beat.
If you can’t get your hands on chiabatta, a baguette will also grill beautifully. The only bread I would not recommend using for this recipe are sandwich breads or buns.
Looking to twist things up and create a grilled Greek salad? Then by all means add some olives and feta at the end. Would be delicious.
Table of Contents
The Ultimate Grilled Panzanella Salad Recipe
Grilled Panzanella Salad
- outdoor grill
- 1 red onion sliced in to 1/2 inch slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut in half, seeds removed
- 1 orange bell pepper cut in half, seeds removed
- 2 8-inch loaves ciabatta bread cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cucumber skin removed. cut lengthwise, take a spoon and run down the center to remove the seeds. Cut into half moon shapes.
- 1 cup grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees or until coals start to turn white.
- Place red onion, bell peppers and bread on a baking sheet and brush surfaces with olive oil.
- Place onions and bell peppers on the hottest area of the grill. Place bread on the outer area of the grill so it will toast. Keep an eye on the bread so it doesn't burn.
- Grill onion and bell peppers until charred on both sides. Remove from the grill.
- While the bread and veg are cooling, make the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, whisk all the ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes. Cut the grilled veg into 1 inch pieces and place both in a large bowl. Add cucumbers and tomatoes to the bowl. Drizzle salad with vinaigrette and stir to combine.
Looking for another grilled salad recipe? Then look no further than my Most Delicious Grilled Potato Salad recipe!