Guinness Stout Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 2 cups Guinness Stout
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate chopped
- FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place paper cupcake filters in pan and set aside.
- Bring the stout and butter to a simmer in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Cool slightly.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream on medium speed. Add stout mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine.
- Add flour mixture, slowly, and beat on slow speed briefly.
- Using a spatula, fold batter until completely combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake cupcakes for 25-30 minutes (for large cupcakes) 20-25 minutes for regular sized, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Transfer cupcakes to cooling rack and let cool at least 20 minutes before frosting.
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- Bring cream to a simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add chopped chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Transfer frosting to a bowl and cool completely, stirring every 5 minutes until thickened and a spreadable consistency.
- Frost cupcakes and store in air tight container.