- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups water
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 cups butternut squash, diced
- 2 cups apple, peeled, cored and diced
- toasted hazelnuts
- creme fraiche
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until onion is translucent; 4-6 minutes.
- Add squash, apple and water. Simmer uncovered until the squash and apple are fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar, honey, cinnamon and allspice. Simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
- Take off heat and cool for about 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Pour pureed soup back in pot and heat over medium-heat. Season with salt and pepper. Once hot, lower heat to a simmer until ready to serve.
- Spoon into bowls, Drizzle with creme fraiche and sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts.