- 1 cup butternut squash, cut into ½ inch chunks
- ½ cup asparagus, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup arborio rice (risotto)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 shallot, diced
- pinch of saffron
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a baking sheet, place butternut squash and drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a saucepan, pour in the chicken stock and warm over medium heat.
- In a large, high-sided sauté pan, pour remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the diced shallots and sauté over medium heat until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice to the shallots and cover with olive oil. Ladle 1-2 cups of chicken stock into the rice and stir continuously in steady even strokes.
- Once the rice has absorbed most of the stock, add the wine. Keep stirring continuously until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Continue this process of adding the stock until all of the stock as been added. On the last ladle of stock, add the asparagus to the risotto along with the pinch of saffron, and let it cook, absorbing the liquid with the risotto.
- When most of the stock as been absorbed, add the butternut squash and warm through, about 2 minutes,
- Take risotto off the heat and add the parmesan cheese. Stir to combine. Serve hot.