- 1 (1 pound) bag black eyed peas
- 5 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1½ cups white wine
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound chorizo sausage
- 1 Tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pour pesa in a bowl and cover with water. Let sit for at least 5 hours.
- Drain peas. Add peas to Dutch oven along with the chicken stock and wine. Cover and let boil for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add chorizo and sauté until chorizo is warmed though. Add to peas along with creole seasoning, chipotle powder and smoked paprika. Turn head to low and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and peas are soft, about 2 hours.