- 8 large tart apples
- 8 (6 inch) wooden skewers
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Wash each apple well, subbing off any wax that may be on the apples. Insert skewer an inch or two in the bottom of each apple.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk together in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and reduce heat to medium. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees F (120 degrees C), 25 to 30 minutes; stir constantly to prevent burning. Remove caramel from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Moving quickly, dip each apple into the hot caramel to completely coat the apple. Let caramel apples cool completely on the parchment paper.