- 1 (5 pound) bone in pork shoulder
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1½ cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 Tablespoons (firmly packed) brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoon hot sauce (I prefer Frank's hot sauce)
- Trim the thick layer of fat on the pork shoulder, leaving a very thin layer. Place pork shoulder in slow cooker and rub the salt and pepper all over the meat.
- In a small bowl, combine apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, honey and hot sauce. Pour apple cider mixture over meat. Place lid on slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours, remove meat from slow cooker with tongs and place on rimmed baking sheet. Shred meat with forks, discarding the bone and whatever fat that remains on the meat.
- Let the liquid in the slow cooker cool completely. Skim fat off surface of liquid. Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl, and strain liquid, discarding whatever solids are in the strainer.
- Place meat in large saute pan and cook over medium heat until warmed back through. Pour desired amount of sauce over meat to moisten. Serve on buns with leftover sauce on the side.