- 1½ cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Cointreau (optional)
- Heat the cranberries, water, sugar and zest in a medium, nonreactive saucepan until the liquid begins to boil. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and cover. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Puree the cranberry mixture in a blender or food processor. Place fine mesh strainer over a bowl, then press mixture through strainer. Discard cranberry solids and skins. Stir in the cranberry juice cocktail and orange juice and the liqueur, if using.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.