- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1½ cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 pound country style ground sausage
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed and cut into quarters
- 1 bell pepper (red or yellow), diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put a stainless steel bowl over a pot of boiling water. Pour in grits and milk. Stir gently, and occasionally, until grits have absorbed milk, about an hour.
- While the grits are cooking, in a cast-iron frying pan, brown sausage. Remove with a slotted spoon and put into a bowl. Reserve. Remove all but 2 tablespoons sausage fat. Add mushrooms and sauté until brown. Add bell pepper to mushrooms and cook until softened. Add tomatoes and white wine. Bring to a hard simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add sausage back in with ragu mixture. Keep warm. .Season with salt and pepper as you go.
- At this point, preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Once grits have absorbed milk, stir in cheddar cheese.
- Ladle cheese grits into individual oven proof baking dishes. Spoon sausage ragu over cheese grits. Place in oven for 10 minutes, until piping hot.