- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2½ cups water
- pounds English-sytle beef short ribs, boneless or bone-in, trimmed of external fat
- Put short ribs in the bowl of a slow cooker. Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl, then pour over short ribs. Add the water.
- Cover, and cook on high for 3½ hours. Stir ribs, then cook on low for 3 hours.
- Remove ribs and put on a plate. Cover with aluminum foil. Spoon 2 cups pan juices in a clear glass measuring container (or a fat separator if you have one). Wait for fat to rise to the top and discard as much fat as possible. Add 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch and whisk to combine. Pour gravy into sauce pan and heat, stirring constantly until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Pour gravy over short ribs and enjoy.