- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup plus 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into large bowl. Mix in 1 Tablespoon orange peel. Add butter and mix in with pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in dried cranberries. Gradually add buttermilk and 1 Tablespoon orange juice, tossing with fork until noise clumps form. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead briefly to bind dough, maybe 4 turns. Form dough into 1 inch thick rectangle. Cut rectangle in half lengthwise, then cut out squares. Then, cut squares at a diagonal making a triangle. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until tops of scones are golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- While the scones are baking, make the glaze. Combine ½ cup orange juice, 1 teaspoon grated orange zest and confectioners sugar. Mix well.
- Once scones are golden brown, remove from oven and let stand on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Spoon orange glaze over each scone and let stand another 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.