- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt2 plus ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pound bacon, diced
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- For the waffles:
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees and preheat waffle iron.
- Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon, and ginger.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl until blended, then whisk in milk, buttermilk, pumpkin, and butter until smooth. Whisk in dry ingredients just until smooth.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray and spoon ⅓ cup batter into waffle iron, spreading quickly. Cook according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer waffles to rack in oven to keep warm and crisp. Make more waffles in same manner.
- For the candied bacon:
- Add diced bacon to a fry pan, and cook on low until almost crisp, about an hour.
- Drain the bacon and discard the grease and return bacon to pan. Add maple syrup and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and cook for another 5 minutes until crispy.