- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup smooth peanut butter
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Warm the milk, sugar, 1 cup heavy cream, salt and ½ cup peanut butter.
- In the meantime, pour remaining 1 cup heavy cream into a large bowl and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Set a mesh strainer on top of the bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scream the warmed egg yolks into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heat proof spatula, scraping the bottom of the pan as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Pour custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and cool in the refrigerator at least two hours.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions.
- Melt the remaining ¼ cup peanut butter and cool slightly.
- Scrap ice cream into a freezer container. Pour melted peanut butter on top and with a knife, swirl the peanut butter into the ice cream to create marbling.
- Cover and freeze for at least an hour.