- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- In a bowl, combine pumpkin puree, dark brown sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon and ground ginger. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, pour heavy cream and then set a mesh strainer over top of bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the milk, granulated sugar and salt.
- Whisk about 3 tablespoons of the warm milk into the egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Scrape the warmed yolks back in to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan with a heatproof spatula.
- Immediately pour the mixture through the strainer into the heavy cream. Stir for a few minutes until it has cooled.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the custard and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator overnight.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.