- 6 pounds (approx. 11 large) Gala and/or MacIntosh apples
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Peel and core apples.
- Chop into ½ inch pieces. Place in bowl of slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, salt and allspice. Pour over apples.
- Cover slow cooker and cook apples over low heat for 10 hours, stirring spiritually.
- After 10 hours, use an immersion blender and blend until smooth and no chunks remain. (if you do not have an immersion blender, an upright blender will work just as well.)
- Add vanilla and lemon juice and cook on low, uncovered, for 2 more hours, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Pour into containers and refrigerate up to 2 weeks. This recipe can also be canned as well. Follow manufacturers instructions for canning process.