Maple Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons maple sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Warm the milk and maple sugar in a medium saucepan. Pour the cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream to cool. Add the maple syrup, salt, and vanilla, and stir until cool over an ice bath.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.