Servings 1 drink
- 1 1/2 ounces Kentucky bourbon
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons mint simple syrup
- Mint sprig for garnish
- dusting of confectioners sugar
- For the mint simple syrup:
- In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup water, and one large stem of mint. Heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the syrup is clear. Do not boil! Take off heat and let mint steep for an hour. Remove mint and pour syrup into a bottle. Can be kept in the refrigerator for weeks.
- For the mint julep:
- Freeze julep cup until frosty.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine bourbon and mint simple syrup. Add ice, cover and shake to mix. Add ice to frosted cup and strain julep mixture into cup. Dust confectioners sugar over the top and add mint sprig for garnish.