Peaches-n-Cream Ice Cream
- 5 large peaches
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons vodka
- pinch of salt
- Peel the peaches, slice them in half and remove the pit. Discard pit. Dice the peaches into 1/4 inch cubes.
- In a bowl, combine diced peaches, 1/2 cup sugar and lemon juice.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, stiffing mixture every 30 minutes or so.
- Remove peaches from fridge and drain the juice into another bowl.
- Add the vodka to the peaches, stir and cover back up and return to the fridge.
- Warm the milk, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup of cream and salt in a medium sauce pan.
- Pour remaining 1 cup of cream into a large bowl, along with reserved peach juice. Stir to combine and place a mesh strainer over the top of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, slightly beat the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stif, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spatula.
- Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream/ peach juice mixture. Stir until cool, over an ice bath.
- Chill mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- Churn in ice cram maker, following manufacturers directions, until mixture resembles soft-serve ice cream. At this point, add the diced peaches and any other accumulated juices, and continue to churn the ice cream until the peaches are fully incorporated and slightly broken down; 1-2 minutes.
- Trader ice cream to an air-tight container and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.