I absolutely love anything made with pumpkin and I love ice cream, so it’s only natural that I would make a pumpkin ice cream.
Ice creams are easy to make. Warm the custard on the stove until thick, then cool; once cooled, freeze in an ice cream maker. The slow churn in the ice cream maker does all the work for you (I highly recommend this one), and freezes the ice cream to perfection.
Here, I’ve served the ice cream sandwiched in cream puffs, and then topped with a caramel sauce. You can find the cream puffs in the frozen foods section of the grocery store. Thaw them in the refrigerator, then slice open and add the ice cream. Pumpkin ice cream would also taste amazing served on top of this pumpkin bread!
This pumpkin ice cream recipe is delicious all year round, but I especially love it during the fall and winter months. Here’s how to make Pumpkin Ice Cream!
Pumpkin Ice Cream
- ice cream maker
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a bowl, combine pumpkin puree, dark brown sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon and ground ginger. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, pour heavy cream and then set a mesh strainer over top of bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the milk, granulated sugar and salt.
- Whisk about 3 tablespoons of the warm milk into the egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Scrape the warmed yolks back in to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan with a heatproof spatula.
- Immediately pour the mixture through the strainer into the heavy cream. Stir for a few minutes until it has cooled.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the custard and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator overnight.
- Put ice cream maker bowl in freezer to freeze overnight. This must be done in order to churn the custard into ice cream.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.