Roasted Tomato Marinara Sauce
- 3 pounds tomatoes, heirloom or plum
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic glaze
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
- 1-28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut tomatoes into quarters and place on shallow rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle 2 Tablespoons olive oil and the balsamic glaze* over tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir with your hands, making sure olive oil, glaze, salt and pepper are on each tomato quarter. Bake in oven for 35 – 40 minutes.
- In a large saucepan (at least 4 quarts), pour in remaining olive oil. Add diced onion and minced garlic. Sauté on medium heat, being careful not to burn the garlic. Cook until onion becomes translucent. Add oregano and incorporate in onion garlic mixture. Add roasted tomatoes including all juices from pan. Stir to break up tomatoes and to combine.
- Now, add the can of crushed tomatoes, beef broth, red pepper flakes, and more salt to taste.
- Let simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally.
- * The balsamic glaze adds a great complexity and depth of flavor to the roasted tomatoes.