- 3 pints ripe strawberries
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Wash the strawberries in cold water and drain thoroughly. Hull them and discard the caps.
- Combine the strawberries with the sugar in a large stainless steel bowl. let stand for 4 to 5 hours.
- Pour the strawberries and their liquid into an enamel lined pan. Add lemon zest and lemon juice. Bring to a boil slowly, stirring occasionally.
- Cook rapidly over medium heat until the strawberry mixture has thickened and reaches 220 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Ladle or funnel the strawberry preserves into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
- This recipe yields 6-7 (8 ounce) jars.