I venture into Goodwill about once a week. Sometimes I find something, and sometimes I don’t. This week, I found this chair. This tired, stained chair that had great bones. And still a lot of life left. It was just sitting there, looking kind of sad, waiting for me to walk by. So, I sat in it. Walked around it. Thought about how I could fix it up. Turned it upside down. The amount of time I was evaluating it and walking around it, one would have thought I was buying a car. It was only $15, by the way. Realizing this, I quickly picked up the chair and bought it. I brought it home and quickly took it up to my studio (located in the FREEZING attic) so my husband wouldn’t nag me for buying more “stuff.”
I originally wanted to paint and recover it so it could go in Caroline’s room. But I couldn’t find any fabric that a) I liked and b) would match everything in Caroline’s room.
Finally, I found a fabric that I was smitten with. I picked out a paint color that matched the design, and it was that pop that I wanted for the chair.
I removed the cushion and fabric and cleaned the chair well with TSP. I then primed and painted the chair. I used 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint. I cleaned and recovered the cushion and fumbled my way along recover the front and back of the chair.
All in all, I think I did a pretty well for my first upholstery job. I have brought this chair back to life and it looks happy. My husband likes it too. Now, where to put it…..