Ultimate Roasted Turkey
- 1 cup table salt
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon peppercorns
- 1 turkey (about 12-14 pounds), rinsed, giblets removed
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 Tablespoons paprika
- Dissolve salt and sugar in 2 gallons of cold water in large, clean bucket. Add bay leaves and peppercorn. Add turkey and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove turkey from brine, and pat dry inside and out with paper towels. Place turkey breast side up on a roasting rack on a sheet pan and refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 8 hours.
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Tuck the wings behind back, tie legs together.
- In a saucepan, add butter, wine and paprika and warm until butter is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Brush the turkey with butter mixture. Place in oven and roast, brushing with butter paprika mixture every 20 minutes.
- Roast until the thickest part of the breast registers 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer. Move the turkey from the rack and let rest 20-30 minutes before carving. You can tent the turkey with foil while in the pan to keep it warm longer, if necessary.