There’s one thing I look forward to all year. A sandwich that is a summer favorite, that truly is the best when enjoyed on a hot summer day with a tall iced cold drink. A sandwich when you take a bite, you need a napkin close by to soak up all the drips.
I’m talking about a tomato sandwich.
Sliced and summer ripe tomatoes in between two pieces of bread with a healthy smear of mayo.
I’m going there — I’m going full emotional over a sandwich. I have no shame.
Ya’ll, it’s the best!
And when summer winds down and the tomatoes have given the season their all, that’s when I start looking forward to next year.
Table of Contents
Classic Tomato Sandwich
The classic tomato sandwich, the one I had been making almost weekly in the summer, uses just 3 ingredients: tomatoes, white bread, and mayonnaise. Ok, and a little salt and pepper over the tomato to taste. But those two seasonings are a given. However, when I ordered a tomato sandwich recently when we were away, it had the most delicious twist on the mayo.
I’m Talking Amped Up!!
It had a grilled corn mayo that brought my beloved favorite to a whole new level. Like, insert that emoji where the fireworks are shooting out of the head. Ya’ll, there’s just not enough adjectives.
So, I came home and recreated the grilled corn mayo, added my own little something extra and bingo. I’ve created the ultimate tomato sandwich. Mic drop.
The Ultimate Tomato Sandwich With Grilled Corn Mayo
Ultimate Tomato Sandwich with Grilled Corn Mayonnaise
- 1 outdoor grill either gas or charcoal, whatever your preference
- 1 food processor
Grilled Corn Mayonnaise
- 6 ears corn
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread
For The Grilled Corn Mayonnaise
- Preheat grill until the coals are hot and grey. If using a gas grill, preheat to 400 degrees.
- Remove husks and silk from corn.
- Grill corn, rotating every 2 minutes until the entire surface is golden and lightly charred.
- Remove from grill and let cool.
- Hold each cob of corn vertically on a baking sheet and cut kernels off with a sharp knife.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add corn kernels, mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pulse 3-4 times to combine ingredients and mayo is still a little lumpy.
- Transfer to a small bowl or jar.
The Ultimate Tomato Sandwich
- Slice tomatoes a half inch thick.
- Spread grilled corn mayo liberally on two slices of bread.
- Layer tomatoes on one slice of bread. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper if desired.
- Top tomatoes with the other slice of bread. Cut in half and serve with plenty of napkins.
Trust me when I tell you that once you make this sandwich, you’ll always include this delicious grilled corn mayo!
Here’s Another Fantastic Tomato Recipe! My tomato pie is the summer comfort food at its finest!! You can find the recipe HERE!!