This Valentine’s Day, let’s put ourselves first. Let’s pamper ourselves and make us feel good! Here are 5 ways how to be your own Valentine!
Valentine’s Day is a bit of a quiet holiday around here. We do celebrate the love and I always cook rather than dine out, but we don’t do anything fancy for Valentine’s. I’m just fine with that. In fact, I prefer it. Sometimes, quiet is much more powerful than fanfare. I’m planning to cook up this dish, which is one of our Valentine’s Day traditions, and as always, I’ll bake Sean these brownies that I’ll cut into hearts. I’ll get the kids in on it and I’ll give them a jar filled with red and pink candies, and a chocolate heart, and an old school card from a box. Because you’ve gotta have some cheeky tossed in there, am I right?!
For Valentine’s Day this year, I thought we could celebrate ourselves. With such a rough and heavy year we’ve all gone through, I wanted to take a minute to remind you that you are special. You’ve made a difference not only in my life, but in many, many others. For some, last year left a pit in our stomachs, and a heavy feeling of loneliness. That’s why, it’s time to celebrate ourselves and be our own Valentine! Let’s do something nice for ourselves that will make us feel great, and uplifted! Are you with me?! Like, let’s rock on with our bad selves!! Here are some of my suggestions.
5 Ways How To Be Your Own Valentine
1. Do whatever you want on Valentine’s Day. Whether it’s binge watching a show, or having a movie marathon. It’s sole possession of the remote control. Or if TV isn’t your thing, do something that you enjoy doing that you can’t necessarily talk your spouse (or anyone else, for that matter) into doing. Do what you want to do.
2. Pamper yourself. To me, I feel like a rock star when I’m manicured. Not just with fingernails, but even after a good hydrating facial mask. Bring on the pretty, because let’s face it, we don’t wake up looking this fab. I love me a good face mask and this Valentine’s Day, I’m planning to shut the door for 30 minutes and put it on. This one is my absolute fave. When I wash it off, I feel hydrated and liberated. I know, I know, I’m putting a lot of stock in an at home facial, but I dig it. I know you will, too.
3. Buy yourself flowers. I’m not talking about a huge bouquet of roses, but rather buy some of your favorite cut flowers. I have yet to meet someone where flowers don’t make them smile. They make everyone happy. As you all know, I get a huge gratification from flower arranging. Why? Because I love to make things pretty. That makes me feel really good. My favorite flower of all time is the gerber daisy. They’re bright and vibrant, and they look happy to me. It’s like they’re smiling at me each time I look at them. I highly recommend buying some cut flowers and arranging them yourself. Then, display the vase in a spot where you’ll see them often. And smile.
4. If doing a little shopping is your gig, then buy yourself a little somethin’ somethin’. There’s gotta be something that you’ve wanted and haven’t purchased yet only because the right side of your brain is telling you that you don’t need it, but the left side is telling you that you want it. I say, if it’s in the budget, buy it. Buying yourself a happy always lifts the spirits, and hey, I’m justifying the purchase for you. It’s all about you. I got myself a little happy. Not exactly the typical Valentine’s Day gift, but they’re something I’ve wanted and will wear often.
5. If weather permits, take a nice long walk and listen to your favorite playlist. Breathe. Affirm. I think we’re all a little hard on ourselves, and today is a day to let your guard down, slow down, and give yourself the luxury of relaxing. A little fresh air never hurt anyone. Embracing whatever you’re feeling at the moment becomes clarity with fresh air. On your walk, listen to your heart because it will take you where to go from here, no matter what you’re thinking about. Stay in tune.
Let’s do this together. Let’s be our own Valentine, because at the end of the day, we darn well deserve it!
Love love love this post
Great ideas Brooke. We all need a little tlc!
B Gibson says
Self-care and self-love are so important!
Brooke Fedigan says
True, so true! ❤️