Pickled Cauliflower & Carrots
- 1 head cauliflower cut into 1 inch florets (about 4 cups)
- 8 ounces fresh carrot chips about 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon pickling spice
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and rough chopped
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger peeled and rough chopped
- 1/2 small yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon flack peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup water
- Fill a large soup pot at least half way with hot water. Please a steamer strainer or round baking rack on the bottom of the pot. You do not want the jars to touch the bottom surface of the pot. The water will need to cover the size of jars you are using by 2 inches when submerged. Heat water to a rolling hot simmer.
- In a small saucepan, combine the bottom 10 ingredients, reserving the cauliflower and carrots for later. Bring brine to a boil and let boil for 1 full minute.
- Pack the cauliflower and carrots into clean, hot pint jars. Set aside.
- Set a fine mesh strainer over a medium sized bowl. Pour brine over strainer and into bowl. Discard the solids. Immediately ladle the hot brine over the vegetables, leaving a 1/2 inch headspace in the top of the jars. Remove any air bubbles by slowly raising and lowering a chopstick or wooden skewer. Wipe the jars' lids with a damp cloth before putting on the lids. Secure the lids until tight. Slowly lower the jars in the hot simmering water, and process for 10 minutes. Remove from the hot water bath, and rest on towels for at least an hour before moving. Store for at lease 2 days, but preferably 7 days before serving. Store in refrigerator after opening.