Refreshing Iced Coffee
- 1 cup ground coffee
- 8 cups hot water
- 1 Tablespoon mint simple syrup (recipe below)
- milk to taste
- FOR THE MINT SIMPLE SYRUP:
- In a 2 quart sauce pot, combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water and 4 sprigs of mint. Warm all ingredients over medium low heat until all sugar dissolves and syrup is clear. Remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes. Remove all mint and pour mint simple syrup into a bottle. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- FOR THE COFFEE:
- In a large container, mix the ground coffee with the water. Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 4 hours.
- Line a fine mesh strainer with cheesecloth. Set strainer over a pitcher and pour coffee mixture through the strainer, allowing the coffee to run though. Discard the coffee grounds. Place the coffee in the refrigerator until cooled and ready to use. For coffee ice cubes, fill an ice cube tray with the coffee and freeze.
- FOR THE ICED COFFEE:
- Fill a glass with the coffee ice cubes. Pour 1 tablespoon mint simple syrup into the glass. Pour in coffee, allowing for enough room for desired amount of milk. Serve immediately.
- Perfect for a hot, summer’s day!