Butternut Squash & Asparagus Risotto
This is the answer to the perfect autumn meal. With the combination butternut squash and asparagus, it makes for a savory and comforting dish that everyone will love.
Servings 4 people
- 1 cup butternut squash cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup asparagus cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup arborio rice risotto
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 shallot diced
- pinch saffron
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat over to 350 degrees
- On a baking sheet, place butternut squash, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a saucepan, pour in chicken stock and warm over medium low heat.
- In a large high-sided sauté pan, pour remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add diced shallots and sauté over medium heat until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice to the shallots and stir to cover with the olive oil.
- Ladle 1-2 cups of chicken stock into the rice and stir continuously in steady even strokes.
- Once rice has absorbed most of the stock, add the wine. Keep stirring continuously until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Continue the process of adding the stock until all of the stock as been added.
- On the last ladle of stock, add the asparagus to the risotto, along with the pinch of saffron. Let it cook, absorbing the liquid with the risotto.
- Add butternut squash and warm through, about 2 minutes.
- Take risotto off heat and add parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- Serve hot.