I remember growing up after a long summer swim practice, my favorite snack to have would be cheese popcorn. I loved everything about it – the flavor, the yellow-y orange powder it left on my fingers and then licking it off, that was the best. Still, to this day, I can’t ever pass up this yummy popcorn with cheddar cheese powder! So, it’s only natural that I figured out how to make it, and develop my own cheese popcorn recipe. This way, I can have my favorite snack any time I want.
My homemade cheese popcorn recipe could not be any easier to make. The key is to use an air popcorn popper, because the added flavored oils in regular popped and / or microwave popped popcorn will interfere with the cheddar cheese powder flavor. Adding melted butter yourself is also key. You control the flavoring, and I’ve done all of that research for you.
I recommend this air popcorn popper. It works well, and is good to always have on hand.
Time to make some homemade Cheese Popcorn!
- 4 cups air popped popcorn
- 5 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese powder
- 1 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 2 large stainless bowls
- Pour popcorn in one bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine cheese powder and ground mustard and mix thoroughly.
- Drizzle with melted butter. Place second bowl over the top of the popcorn bowl creating a dome shape. Hold firmly and shake popcorn to distribute butter, flipping the dome a couple times.
- Take the top bowl off and sprinkle with cheese mustard mixture. Place bowl back over the top and shake until all the popcorn is coated with the cheese.
This post contains affiliate links.